View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #65 (permalink)
crashnzuk
EcoModding Lurker

I also had some thoughts about your transmission. As I am sure you've heard, the Getrag 360 has a spotty reputation. Two of the things that I have heard will kill them rapidly is flat towing and lugging. Engine off coasting is basically flat towing without the tow rig. The problem is that the cluster gears aren't turning with the engine off, so oil doesn't get pulled up high in the trans with only the output turning. This will kill the main shaft. These engines use so little fuel at idle, I personally think engine on coasting would be almost as good for economy and much better for the trans.

The other thing is lugging. The consensus amoung Cummins guys is that anything below about 1700 behind a Cummins is very hard on the internals (of any transmission). The guys with manuals behind V8 diesels don't seem to have this problem nearly as bad. I think the problem is the harmonic vibes of the inline 6 being more harsh than that of a smoother running V8.

On your turbo, your exhaust housing is fairly large (2nd largest housing installed on a Dodge). If you swapped to a smaller hot side housing it would make your engine a lot less laggy, but you would need to make adjustments to your AFC (provides boost referenced fueling) to keep from being into the additional fuel more than you are now.
Travis..

Travis..