View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update for October 26

This is not so much an update, as a project split.

Building a scale model of the WIKISPEED SGT01 is where I started the project. Things have changed along the way:
- cars aren't COOL - it needs to be a TRUCK
- the frame is too wide for the wheel assemblies that I am recycling so changes/additions need to be made to the frame
- I could not fit the electric parts into a true scale model, so the measurements on the basic frame were changed
- the axles being used don't conform to the WIKISPEED motor module requirements, so changes are required there
- since the axles don't work as they should, the suspension modules need to be modified

Sounds like this build won't be very close to a WIKISPEED model, right?

And I'm not a mechanical kind of guy. I'm doing mechanical because it needs to be done, I enjoy the electrical parts of the build.

ssssSSSSSSOOOOOOooooo ...

I've decided to do an ACTUAL scale model build of the SGT01 WIKISPEED car first. This may end up being a bit sparse - no body or interior perhaps - but it will have the correct measurements for the FRAME, the MOTOR MODULE, the SUSPENSION, and the various CRUSH STRUCTURES.

There will be lots of Plywood used in place of actual suspension components, as in 'dummy' shock absorbers, maybe the A arms, etc. But I will be able to SEE and TOUCH a scale model that measures out correctly and has all the correct proportions BEFORE I make what appears to be MANY design changes to convert a CAR to a TRUCK.

Since I am lazy, I will be asking one of the local fabricators here, Marine Master, to to supply and cut the aluminum pieces for me. I plan to put these pieces together with bolts and epoxy (based on the upcoming tests that I will be doing on Monday).

Now to justify my laziness .. their shop charge is reasonable, and it will likely take them about an hour to do what I need. AND doing this will save me 2 or 3 weekends of metal cutting and filing (not fun tasks). AND it will look better when they are done than I could possibly have accomplished no matter how much time I put into it.

I am planning to get the joint assembly process done this week after I get my testing on the welds done, so I can make all of my mistakes there. It usually takes longer than I expect, so that will likely take 2 weeks. After that, when the aluminum pieces have been cut, I will take pictures and video of the assembly process. It should be instructional even if it is scaled down.

The updates here are still Weston's build. The information from the joint testing will still be here, as well as my progress on Weston's Truck.

I will start a new build thread for the WIKISPEED scale model SGT01 when I get enough progress to actually report on it.