View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
cfd_guy
EcoModding Lurker

cfdguy - '13 VW Golf TDI
I co-own an engineering consulting company and we do cfd consulting. We usually make our own cfd models in CAD based on the car being analysed. We have also had a few clients send scanned data of a car. We have never had anybody send us a model ready for analysis. After the model is ready, we set up the cases and run them. We collect the data required by the customer and put it in a report. Price is depends on the scope of the project.

Windtunnel testing is similar. If it is a scale windtunnel, you will have to have a model made. This is usually pretty expensive if you want something to replicate the car well. If you go this route, I have a tunnel I would recomend. If you go full-scale, I wouldn't go to the A2 tunnel for two reasons. One is it is non-rolling road which I believe is very important part of the analysis. The other is the tunnel if pretty small (high blockage ratio). With a windtunnel,you will haveto hire consultants for gathering data and analysing the data.

Either option will work but it depends what you are looking for in the project. If you want just straight numbers, windtunnel would be better. If you are looking at refining different designs, go with cfd. There is a good cfd company I would recommend who I consider the "best" in the US and that it TotalSim. Or you could contact mine, but we are a new company.

A college would be the cheapest option for sure, but I have never worked with a college so I dont have any information on that topic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfd_guy For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-28-2013), Cd (12-20-2014)