View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #69 (permalink)
bandit86
Master EcoModder

Buggie - '01 Vw Beetle TDI Gls
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
I'm most familiar with 5 speeds since I haven't yet owned a 6 speed truck. Having been around a number of forums since buying my truck 10 years ago, I have read and heard numerous stories of guys destroying their 5 speeds by running too low an rpm. Either guys short shifting and running around at low rpm, to guys running an aux overdrive on the interstate. The Getrag has a bad reputation due to many being incorrectly set-up from the manufacturer, but they also crap counter shaft bearings as a common failure. The getrag should also be overfilled by about a quart to keep the front bearing happy as well. The NV4500s have 5th gear problems. No matter what manual you run, they are all VERY expensive to repair. I choose to keep my trans as happy as possible by keeping the rpm up rather than lug it. My original getrag has over 185k on it so I feel whatever I'm doing must be ok.
Travis..
The transmission relies on splash lubrication, at low rpm there might not be enough spray. The other thing is Lucas oil stabilizer, it makes the oil cling and less likely to splash, also because the gears pick up oil and hold onto it (try the little display unit they have) and because all the oil is on the gears there is nothing on the bottom to pick up