View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
wizardwizard
Banned

re

i had an idea to get a more powerfull radiator fan and hook it to a tube like the air tube on a laundry dryer and put the end of it under the car, under or just past the dash board, to reduce drag. the tube from the dryer looks like an ok size tube to use, big enough to for large ammounts of air to pass thru and flexible enough to easilly route in the right direction,
by taking the hot radiator air and pushing it under the dash under the car, you stop it from ending up stuck under the hood like a parachute, also
it blows the hot air back onto to engine and by rerouting it under that stuff, the engine will end up running cooler without its own heat being sucked out and blown right back in its face, this could cause trouble if the hot air was to cause a fire under the vehicle or heat the gas tank, so, the air can be re routed all the way to the rear end by the mufler.
i think they use this to reduce drag in airplanes where the jet engine is in the back, it sucks air from the front to burn which reduces drag.
the idea is to counter the drag by manipulating the air flows, possibly to the extent that the drag is canceled out, its eazier and cheaper have a fan move the air for your car than for your car's front end to move the air

im not saying i think cars should have aero lift in them, but, it is about time that we had flying cars.
my car can go 200 miles on a tank an airplane can fly across the world, but, now even that number is not where it should be with all the rediculas engeneering flaws these things have. but we know the point is that the car can get better fuel economy and so can an airplane.

i had an idea to put an adjustable spoiler to add intense downforce during turns and add lift when accelerating, this could be worked into the gas pedal, when you hit the gas, it removes all downforce and maybe adds a bit of lift, when you take the foot off the gas, it pulls the spoiler back to heavy downforce mode for turning.... this wont work with the "hybrids", prius or with regenerative braking

i think that by trying to cancel the drag you could easily get +20% mpg