View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #44 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I lived right near the intersection of 123 and the west loop of the beltway and worked at a Mercedes dealership on North Glebe in Arlington. 123 (Chain Bridge Road) was my perfect route, 35 MPH and perfectly timed lights to work and back. Got 44 MPG in my 84 CRX 1.5 while enduring that commute, drove parallel to the main road in to DC and seldom did I go slower than the 55-65 MPH speed limit traffic, 1983.
When I was in high school in the mid-late 1960s, the govt offered Pop a GS14 position at the Pentagon, an increase in grade and a pay raise. He turned it down and retired in 1975, about 8 years after the job offer.

Picked up a motorcycle 15 months ago in Silver Springs Md, just north of the beltway. My poor younger brother crawled from there to Fredericksburg before we actually got up to the speed limit, close to 40 miles in his manual Nissan truck.

I avoid the place like the plague, but when I have to go through there I take route 28, or route 15 to Leesburg. One trip to Detroit I was headed north of Leesburg when the sun came up at 5:30 AM 3 hours into my trip. The southbound traffic into DC was crawling, backed up 20 miles on route 15, while northbound was practically deserted.

regards
Mech