View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Goldenstate
Heilopower

Platinum Ghost - '14 Ford Fusion SE
90 day: 27.51 mpg (US)
I used a single layer of the foil covered bubble wrap material on my garage door and was amazed at how much better the garage felt in winter and summer. I was so impressed that I installed a second layer of the same material with better results the next year.

I found the weight gain to be minimal and no adjustments needed to the springs or to the automatic opener tension adjustment. Things are also much quieter as well. The reflective surface bounces light off of the door serving to help brighten the garage as a bonus. It was very cost effective and simple to do with light gloves due to all of the sharp metal edges on the door sections.

Recently I purchased a laser infrared thermometer from the Horror Freight people and measured a friends east facing door on a hot summer morning. The temperature registered at 105 degrees at 1000Am in the morning. We installed a single layer of the aluminum faced bubble material that afternoon. The next morning at the same time the door temperature was only 75 degrees giving a 30 degree temperature reduction. He was amazed at how much cooler his garage was and did his big shop door a few days later.

For checking heat and cold issues around the house, the laser powered thermometer pays for itself in no time at all. I just wish I had bought one sooner.