View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #78 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
To have a social life -- to put myself back into 20-something shoes -- among those one might wish to marry in a post WWII city it would seem that a car is still mandatory.
This brings up a neglected point about teen driving: it was seldom the driving that was the really important thing about getting a license and car, it was the parking. Having a car gave you a way to get private with that interesting person of the opposite sex. Maybe today, with both parents working, that can more easily be done at home?

Quote:
I think these boys need to grow a pair. Shop and kitchen are both vital. A man who ca't fix a car is like a woman who can't can food.
Sorry, but your sexual stereotypes are showing. While I generally don't can food (I really dislike the taste of most canned food, and would rather freeze or dry it), I have made batches of grape, crabapple, and plum jam in the last couple of weeks, and may do a batch of quince today.

And I can fix cars, handle horses, and sew on buttons too. "Specialization is for insects" - R. A. Heinlein