View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
VG location

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspif View Post
Jumping in there because my Saturn has similar markings after a light rain. I'm having a little trouble following your post, Aero, where would recommend the VGs be mounted on the car?
I'm not really qualified to say,as I've never worked with them.
I went into the Phil Knox Aerodynamic Photos album,to the bottom library of articles/clippings and looked at the Wheeler VGs.It looks like they were positioned a couple inches ahead of the backlight surround.
If you can find the prior posts on VGs,and locate the Mitsubishi Lancer study published by Mitsubishi,it would give you some additional insight as to proper placement.
Technically,VGs need to be sized for the boundary layer thickness of the specific application,and it would require a wind tunnel and smoke/drag measurements,to actually dial in the sweet spot.Which is why I shy away from them.
If you had access to a really dusty dirt road,you might be able to use the dust patina to locate the flow separation line on the roof/C-pillars.
If so,you'd place the VGs just ahead of that line.
Lastly,if you compared the Aerodynamic Streamlining Template to your roof,the location where your roof just began to fall below the 'Template' contour would indicate the point where your boundary layer is beginning to be compromised,whereas the VGs could help to re-energize it at this location.
These are just educated guesses.