View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Obormot
EcoModding Lurker

Thermostatic warm air intake

Hello!

here is another warm air intake setup, but this time temperature of intake air thermostatically controled, by mixing cold air from outside (upper pipe) and hot air from output collector (lower pipe coming under thermal shield of output collector). in this car (Nissan Note 1.6 AT 2007) is very little free space under the hood, so connection to output collector's thermal shield is not visible.

thermostatic element is mechanical, without electronics and external power.
now it holding about +30C

pipes are 2-layered, second inner layer is cardboard.
for thermal insulation it is slightly better, than just aluminium foil.

later i will do better insulation, i think it will be one smaller pipe inside other bigger, and space between will be filled by some non-flammable insulation matherial. or i wrap this pipe by some insulation matherial.

main target - lowering fuel consumption, warm-up time and increasing driveability on cold engine while using E85 fuel in winter.

one of lacks of E85 fuel - higher consumption, long warm-up time and not good driveability on cold engine in cold weather, mainly becouse of high heat of vaporization and flashpoint.
i will try to decrease this effects by using warm intake air.

last winter i already made small experiment with usual metal pipe from thermal shield of output collector to intake pipe. i get some noticeable positive effect, but i did not any measurement, and installation was not very good.

this time i plan to do some tests with or without WAI:
1. warm-up time and fuel consumption on idling
2. warm-up time and fuel consumption during driving
3. fuel consumption on warm engine (different constant speeds)
4. maybe acceleration

i plan to use k-line adapter and TECU program (and some others) to log data and made some charts and graphs.

now i did some tests - temperature of intake air (by sensor in MAF) holding about +29...+31C all the time, at all driving conditions. on long idling it slowly increasing to +40...45, i think it is becouse of position cold pipe over the radiator, but original intake pipe has same position, so, i will think about it.
temperature quickly returns to +30C after 1-2 minutes of driving.

now outside is about +10...+15C, so i will wait temperatures lower 0C and start testing.

also, this week i will install such system to Nissan X-Trail 2.0 AT 2003.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side1.jpg
Views:	2020
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	14024   Click image for larger version

Name:	front1.jpg
Views:	1918
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	14025  

Last edited by Obormot; 10-30-2013 at 12:55 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obormot For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (04-07-2015), oil pan 4 (03-21-2015)