View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
I notice you said you did an UPPER grille block. Maybe finish blocking off the whole thing. In my 4 cylinder Suzuki Swift, I blocked off the entire grille opening except for a small hole last spring. Then I watched the engine temperature carefully on my ScanGauge. It never overheated, even in the summer, even climbing mountains - I think it hit 208 or 209 once, but usually never over 207. There is room for the radiator fan to pull air from underneath the bumper, though. But in the wintertime in Sweden, I'll bet you can block the whole thing and be ok. I saw about 2 mpg improvement from my grille block.

Otherwise, for "low hanging" aerodynamic fruit, my experience has been that rear fender skirts don't do much, nor does deleting the mirror(s). Probably the biggest boost after the grill block is a Kamm-back, but that isn't nearly as easy to do. But it's what I'm working on next for aerodynamics. Belly pans are a lot of work too, and some report the gains aren't nearly as much as they were hoping for. But the Kamm-back is supposed to be very helpful.