View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #472 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Another year goes by, and I have to replace the stock mirrors to get an inspection sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Okay, I have replaced both the video cameras and the video monitors of my video mirrors -- here's the earlier installation:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post105631

These new "backup" video cameras are pretty small, though they have lenses that are too wide (~170 degrees); in that they make objects appear farther away.

The other nagging concern is that for some strange reason, the molded plastic bit at the 'Y' in the cord where the video signal and the 12v power wire split -- gets quite hot! At first, it gets hot enough to burn my fingers! After a little while, it seems to be cooler, but this is concerning enough that I have ordered some different cameras. These newer ones also have lens angles closer to the first set (~120d vs ~100d) which is probably a very good thing.

Here's the installation:

These monitors look a lot better than the previous units -- these stay clearly visible in bright (and hot) sunlight. Their main problem is they do not just turn on when the car is turned on; and they have to be manually powered on.

I also like that they are wide screen -- this "re-expands" the image from the very wide angle video cameras, and helps correct for the horizontal compression of the barrel distortion of the image.

Does anybody know of a way to "fix" the power on issue on the monitors, so they just turn on when the ignition is turned on?
I'll probably get time tomorrow to put the video cameras back on. It has been weird driving with those *giant* things hanging off the doors. They don't show very much, but what they do show is clear. They suck in the rain, and there is a lot more glare at night.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-04-2013)