View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #185 (permalink)
christofoo
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphDaCivic View Post
Great Job!

I also live in Utah. I drive a 2006 Civic Hybrid and always wanted to try something along this line.

Do you have an issue getting the Utah inspection? Or do you disassemble for that process.
In my reading of the Utah inspection manual, I'm not sure whether or not the Kammback may be viewed as a "hazard" beyond the bumper. I may eventually do some more engineering to the sharp edges and try getting it inspected with the Kamm on.

Optically I expect it's fine (I could be wrong). I should probably go back and check the manual for verbiage on frost lines, which I need to think about anyway, and while I'm at it see if I missed anything I might need to worry about on obscuration or distortion. (Year after year my Corolla gets passed, and it has bubbling tint in the rear window which is at least as bad as the Kammback's little imperfections.) You do get blocked for removing the passenger side mirror with any tint on the rear-window, however. Now that I'm doing a Kamm with a shady section I wish I hadn't tinted the rear.

I must have done my inspection a little late this year (June instead of May) because I remember taking the hitch box off. My belief is that being hitch mounted, it's in the same class as other hitch-cargo-carriers, and as such it's not to be inspected, and I presume would just be a nuisance.

It'll be May again before a definitive word, but I'll keep you posted.