View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #473 (permalink)
orbywan
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Another year goes by, and I have to replace the stock mirrors to get an inspection sticker.

I'll probably get time tomorrow to put the video cameras back on. It has been weird driving with those *giant* things hanging off the doors. They don't show very much, but what they do show is clear. They suck in the rain, and there is a lot more glare at night.
There's two ways you may be able to make the monitors come on when you have power in the line. Look in your monitor manual, brief as it may be, and see if there is a 'reverse-on' trigger wire. It will show the wire being hooked up to the backup light circuit. IF it has one all you have to do is run your ignition power to this wire and it will come on anytime you turn your key on, or put power to that wire.

The other possibility is once in a while the monitor manufacturer will give you a third video input (on a two channel monitor) that does the same thing. If you hook either one of your camera connectors to the odd input (usually a male or female RCA) and you power your cameras up via the ignition, the monitor will come on anytime it senses a video signal.

A third possibility is to contact whoever sold you the unit and ask them if they can ask the manufacturer if there is a way to do this. About 80 to 90% of monitor manufacturers have some way to do this.

As far as lens selection goes, I've had 6mm lenses (that's about a 50 degree field of view) on my side cameras on my Saturn for about 2 years now and I love'em. I'm working with a manufacturer now who offers 6mm, 8mm, and 12mm sidecams, but they've got a slight glitch in them. If they ever get them right I'll try the 8 and 12mm versions. Might be a tad close but I'd love to find out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orbywan For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-04-2013), NeilBlanchard (11-03-2013)