View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
hliew88
EcoModding Lurker

superpilot - '04 Honda Pilot EX-L NAV
90 day: 26.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
*I would seal up the outer edges of your belly pan, so that the coroplast attaches to the bottom edge of the side panel/door. I fear that air is coming in from the side, which might cause some turbulence and maybe a parachute effect, effectively making the pan useless. Seal it up and you might see a better result. (Only a thought, you'll have to confirm.)
I've been thinking about that, but I'm not sure what difference it makes... will give it a try though. Also, I don't have the exhaust piping covered - should I seal off the sides on the left & right of the exhaust pipe too?

Quote:
*Kammback. You might be able to use the spoiler mounts to do it as well, so you won't have to make holes or even need tape.
I really don't want to extend anything much behind the car... I've had trouble figuring out the benefits of partial kammback vs. sharp rear corners (like found on many new cars today)

Quote:
*I would definitely try the rear diffuser. You can even design it so it deflects air away from your hitch, so that the hitch becomes almost non-exisent, aerodynamically speaking. You could also just extend the belly pan all the way out to the point of the hitch.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by deflect the air away from the hitch... besides, that rear angle is hovering around 20 degrees, does that matter?

Quote:
Don't be surprised if you have to replace your starter sooner rather than later. All that EOCing will kill your starter.
I'm worried about this too... I only drive my car about 2-3 times a week, so I figure if I do EOC about 15 times a trip, that's not much more than starting a car like 6 times every day. Is there any way I can find out how many start cycles my starter motor is rated for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc
i'm thinking the air is getting pushed out to the sides by the airdam, beyond the width of the tires.
Yeah, I've seen that most OEM wheel spats only cover about the inner half of the tire width (the stock one on this Pilot covers like 20% of it). Is there any sweet spot, where I'm not pushing too much air to the sides?