View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #302 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
I know, I know I should ...
Consider thyself admonished!
Quote:
[*]CNG is stored as a gas despite the 200 bar / 2900 psi tank pressure - LPG is stored as a liquid.
Hmm- thats some pressure-similar to a modern common rail diesel- guess it explains the tanks!

Quote:
[*]2-stage pressure reduction system, the 2nd stage using variable output pressure based on the engine's demand and is heated by the engine coolant.
Similar to a vapourisor on an LPG setup? except with pressure control as well. sounds good- inso far as it is load reactive

Quote:
[*]large, voluminous cylindrical tanks for CNG rather than space-saving donut type tanks for LPG.
How does that impact on the available space in the Up!? does it reside in the location usually reserved for the petrol tank?

Quote:
[*]VW have increased the compression and fitted hardened valves + seats, so no messing about with valve lube etc. like with LPG
(valve lubing is often needed on retrofitted CNG cars though)
so similar to LPG in that its a drier fuel than petrol, and some cars can suffer valve seat recession due to using it? Jaguars need valve lube for LPG, but the BMWs I have are happy without it

Interesting re the compression! does CNG have a higher RON rating, but lower calorific value?

Quote:
[*]Monovalent car, so the driver can't select which fuel to use (which you can in LPG or CNG-retrofitted cars) - it runs on CNG until the tanks are empty.
ah, so no handy "range extender" option then? I did like that about LPg

Cheers for the insight (ecomod punFTW!)

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------