View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Since we are now integrating EVERYTHING into cars, shortly after they put the espresso button next to the radio on/off button, the car should be able to warn me of new routes.

If I am driving on a new road, aka new to me, it should warn me of a stop sign or maybe a red light if I set it so. Often I find myself driving in a new area to come around and whoops, stop sign right ahead! 2nd gear, max regen until I NEED brakes, then come to a stop (or crawl). Lame.

Also, GPS by fuel economy. Sure, the turnpike is the fastest. Google will have me drive an extra 15 miles because in the end it saves one minute over another route- if one can enter the max speed they will travel at, 59 for me, then it should be able to calculate that. Why take the 70 mph highway if there is a 55 that would be better?

I would sooner drive an extra mile if it meant avoiding a stop sign.

Even a "driver preference" section that would allow me make some choices like that, or see routes by their stops signs/red lights.

I have forgotten a lot that I think while I drive- "Man, this would be so much better if..."
For example, all lights should have a simple count down stating when they will turn. Red to green, green to red. So I can know, should I cut my engine for 2 seconds? Or am I burning speed so when I get to the light, it's already back to red. Grr. Rare occassions, but if this was public info, we'd be penetrating even the dullest of minds.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.