View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
doless
EcoModding Lurker

well my '01 civic just ate it....new ride time!

About me:

Full time college student and small business owner.

About the car:

lx, 5 speed.
Had it from 100k to 220k miles, original clutch was still feeling strong, exhaust manifold went and the timing belt needs to be done plus the tires were going and brakes could use some loving (i don't think i even changed them)....so i let her go fairly cheap.

My budget is around 2-5k. Obviously i'd like to spend the least amount possible.
I have no problem haggling prices down to the bone, kbb/nada values are always checked prior to making an offer.

The biggest question is what cars would be recommended around that? I'm not really a car guy although i've tried to read some of the stickies and search around google to help make a choice.

My rough criteria is:

Holds its value (i like making a worthy investment)
Reliability (no automatics, no first gen cars ect)
And of course, mpg. Driving very non-conservativly with basic coasting and engine braking i averaged around 38 city with this civic, and around that would be great.

Cars on my list so far:

04/05 Sunfire/Cavalier (i know they don't hold value, but for 3k for the same milage 5k honda does it matter?)

03-05 civic

various ford focuses

Corolla 2000-05

and possibly an older tdi.

I'm hoping to get something i can just drive into the ground for the next few years and allow me to buy a fr-s for the summer days up here in michigan (i commute around 60 miles a day for school and such)

any input or advice is appreciated!

thanks