View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #68 (permalink)
danwat1234
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr220v View Post
Aside from the weight and fuel economy, this is an atkins cycle engine. Well, it has an atkins cycle mode depending on what position the vvti cam is in. I currently have it set for on/off. This gives me two settings. 13:1 compression using the full 1.5L and 6:1 at 750cc's.
Just driving it around, it actually feels stronger than the original 4age. This is in the 13:1 1.5L mode of course. The low comp/displacement setting will leisurely pull away from a light flooring it.

Toggling modes manually, I was able to get 37mpg where the various 4age's I've had would get 30, and the beams 3sge would get sub 30. This is running an echo ecu and no o2. Really a tune just good enough to run and drive.
Wait wait, I have never heard of the Prius engine (whether the 2nd gen 1.5L or the 3rd gen 1.8L) having an OTTO cycle mode! That is why the 1.5L is only rated at a peak of 76HP and the 1.8L 3rd gen Prius engine only has a peak of 98HP. Maybe it's because it does OTTO sometimes at low RPMs for power, but always Atkinson at high RPM (see post #43), hence the low peak HP.
Are you saying that it has an OTTO cycle mode? I have never heard of this, I thought it was strictly Atkinson cycle, hence why it needs an electric motor for assistance, especially at low RPMs.
I thought some of the new Honda/Acura "Earth Dreams" engines that are 2L and smaller will have on demand Atkinson/OTTO cycle behavior so it'll work well in a car that doesn't have an electric motor to help out at lower speeds and could get hybrid like economy on the highway.

If the Prius engine does have an OTTO cycle mode, then why isn't/wasn't it made for some Toyota cars that weren't hybrid, such as a Yaris?

Great innovative project

Last edited by danwat1234; 11-07-2013 at 03:08 PM..