View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #72 (permalink)
unheardofinstruments
EcoModding Lurker

Nice work!

I am impressed with the level of tinkering and thinkering going on in this thread, and that the thing can be lifted without a crane too. With all the extra complexity these newer engines have the gains are fractional but still worthy. Myself I prefer the build quality, simplicity and aesthetic appeal of an old car as a project and abhor dealing with the modern loom and greatly admire the amount of know-how involved mapping the things.
As for the 2stroke small jap van diversion I am intending to replace my standard gearbox in my '86 Suzuki Carry (Holden Scurry, vauxhall rascal, maruti...) 1Litre van with a 4x4 one and use the front wheel drive and replace the rear diff with electric drive that just bolts up to the springs to hybridise the thing (although it already gets good mileage being only 800kg and a good candidate for electric conversion anyhow.) It can also carry 700kg so battery weight is not such an issue, in fact more weight on the rear wheels than when empty would be great.(!)
The rear output of the box could run a PMDC generator set from a wind turbine I have lying around. A few batteries would do and the rear axle/controller/gearbox/PMDC motor setup I was intending to import from china is under 55kg and $1000, at 40kW and 120kmph it could run electric mostly with generator + motive force when required. This is the little brother;

power - search result, Chongqing Wagner Auto Parts Company Limited

There is a lot of potential in optimizing combinations of drives and engines and doing a better job than oem's, on hybrids too there seems to be plenty of scope for some serious ecomodding... It seems to me they are not really trying.
I am most inspired to see some good thinking and doing, big up everyone, back pats all round!