View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenfool View Post
Seems like a large van (with similar engine/tranny) would always have better fuel economy than a trailer. Something like a long tall sprinter. The bikes could go inside during travel, then moved out for camping. The downside to this is the reliability of the sprinters. It's impossible to get real data, but there are plenty of folks on the forums with problems with them. Ram has a new high roof van and Ford will have one next year, but I don't really want to buy new, or wait untill next year. Another option would be a regular GM/Ford van with a pop-top or high-top on it. One moto could go on a hitch carrier and we could probably make that work. Big V8's & 4spd autos seem to be the only option though.
I don't see too many problems with the Sprinters in my country, altough they have a different powerplant (4-pot turbodiesel) and mostly manual transmissions back here. Regarding the new Ram ProMaster, if you could buy new it wouldn't be a bad option at all. Due to the FWD layout it has a lower cargo platform, which eases the loading and unloading and increases the interior standing height.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
bikenfool (11-11-2013)