View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
damarble
EcoModding Lurker

Hello from WA trying to put lipstick on a pig (pickups)

I've been browsing the forum extensively the last few days and trying to take it all in. A lot of the mods talked about here are a little too extreme for my personal taste but there is plenty of low hanging fruit to be had as well.

I'm starting with a pair of bricks. I've always preferred pickups and am willing to pay the economic penalty for driving them but that doesn't mean I can't extract a little more efficiency.

Truck #1 is a 90 F250 4x4 7.3L diesel, 5spd, 4.10 rear. It's big, it's boxy, it's over geared - it's a lost cause. Currently getting about 17mpg highway at 60 mph with a typical canopy on it (and an external sun visor, which I just deleted today). I don't drive it much, it's usually only for hauling and towing. I will however be making a 800 mile trip later this month so I might as well put an air dam on and block the grill for that trip and see if that helps. If I could eek out 20 mpg on my trip I'd be thrilled.

Truck #2 is where I want to see major gains. It will be my daily driver when finished. It's a 98 F150 4x2 5spd, 3.08 rear. I'm about halfway through the conversion to a 3.9L Isuzu turbodiesel. I've lowered it 2" already and am looking for about 2" more. It has a tonneau cover now and I'd like to build an aerocap later. I'd like to consistently average 30 mpg with this truck when it's finished.

This site is a great resource and I'm glad I found it.