View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
YukonCornelius
Exceptional Member

Crapolier - '98 Chevrolet Cavalier base
90 day: 34.81 mpg (US)

05 CTS-V - '05 cadillac cts-v
90 day: 33.01 mpg (US)

95 Accord - '95 Honda Accord
90 day: 38.06 mpg (US)

11 CTS-V - '11 Cadillac CTS-V
Another I want to make my Honda a 3cyl thread, but with a twist!

My otherwise normal running 95 accord lost a cylinder the other day, I've diagnosed it as a chipped exhaust valve. I would say burned valve but I heard something clinking around in there initially but it quickly exited. I do intend to fix this properly. My go to wrecking yard had a handful of accords but with either missing engines/heads or were DOHC VTEC equipped. Craigslist didn't turn up much either.

I'm under the impression I can turn the rockers upside down on the intake valves and unplug the injector. The few threads I read on here no one had a hole in their exhaust valve. The piston will be pulling in some exhaust no doubt. He's the twist, this specific cylinder has low compression (under 100psi) and burns a ton of oil on it's own. Back around 240,000 miles a ngk plug failed and dropped a piece of insulator into the chamber. It left a deep gouge in my cylinder wall and turned my no oil burning 2.2 into a engine that consumed a quart every 1,000 miles. Many quarts later I'm at 379,000 miles. I had the head off around 275,000 to replace the head gasket. At that time I had it lightly milled and lapped the valves.

My concern is that this cylinder might begin to fill up with oil after a while. But I'm not sure if I'm thinking about it correctly. I suppose since it won't be burning it off the oil would go both ways past the rings and should keep itself in check. It will cut down on my oil consumption atleast. Any thoughts on this whole dilemma? As for annoyance of driving, since this was a weak cylinder the power loss doesn't feel like a full 25%. I know this isn't about MPG but ecomodder is the only forum I'm on with knowledge of cylinder deactivation.

Don't know why it says 00, it's a 95
374,000 miles and tired.