View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
ever_green
Master EcoModder

gueff - '19 Mercedes Benz A250 4MATIC AMG
90 day: 30.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
It's been done by our very own Orange4Boy: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tch-10028.html

And for the Subie fans: Bobs Torque converter lockup mod (PhaseII 4eat/01 4eats) - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

This last one grabbed me in particular because virtually all of it translates word-for-word to work on my Forester. I can't tell if the 4EAT got bolted into any 09 Imprezas and of course the wiring might be different too, so YMMV. But you can see there are some possibilities.

For my own part, I would try to install a relay that depowered the TC lockup at the 3-2 downshift, so you couldn't accidentally leave the TC locked up at stoplights, for instance. It might become a tad troublesome to keep resetting the lockup, but how much cheaper is that against getting a new lockup clutch, especially when it permits you to skip gassing up for another day?

My Forester on its best day might break 24mpg. It's a great car when the snow flies, but man. It's thirsty.
ya those mods don't seem too easy to do (for me). my engine doesn't like lugging at all. high loads at low RPM for more than a second starts causing weird engine noises and poor mileage. i find its sweet spot to be around 2000rpm-2500rpm or 3000-3500rpm at moderate loads. since the torque converter is 2300rpm stall, it doesn't usually shoot up the rpm's too high. on the highway it will not unlock unless i go WOT. it's in the city that it unlocks easier now...but havent seen any negatives from the unlocking/locking itself yet. maybe an extra 0.5mpg to squeeze?