View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
ebacherville
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
here is a idea for electric fans, I had a old chevy vega that i put a big b lock in , well needless to say a mechanical fan would not work for space reasons.. so i put in a electric fan and wired it directly to the coil wire so it was always on when i was running the motor as my radiator was rather small for the motor so i wanted to stay on top of the heat issues..

any ways when id shut the car off in a slight wind blowing and the car faced into the wind it would stay running as the fan was being spun by the slight wind and powering the ignition cloil.. the coolest part is that when not windy and faced into the wind, it was very easy to time the fan spinning down, so I could shut the car off, get out and walk a few yards away and snap my fingers just as it shut off.. people thought it was funny , like the Fonz on the jukebox..

However you easly could make that electric fan generate power when its not used, with a simple electric circuit.. to run it throw a relay to feed it power , when not running the other side of the relay feeds back intot he electric system and youd just needa (is it a diod?) to make a "one way valve" that if there is more than 14 volts comming back from the fan it charges the system.. that fan is always spinning when running down the freeway , recapturing some of it seems like a decent idea.