View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #112 (permalink)
crsauls
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoyoda View Post
I hope so. Another gas-robber in newer cars is the heater core that is hot all the time. So not only is gas wasted heating up the dashboard, even more gas is wasted when you have to run the AC to offset the heater core. I know there are vents and flaps to control the airflow, but the dash still heats up. All this just so you can have "automatic climate control".
I think there is a flaw in this. The heater is using energy that has already been converted to heat and is being dissipated by the cooling system. Whether it is dispersed by the engine radiator or heater radiator makes no difference. Using the air-conditioner to compensate for the heat in the cabin is another matter, that is definitely an added burden. What is need is a system to convert the wasted heat energy back into kinetic energy to propel the vehicle. Imagine if the heat generated by the catalytic converter could be put to work. Ever since I put a sparkplug in the exhaust of my Yamaha 80 I have wondered about the possibilities of running 2 or 4 cylinders on a V8 with reoxygenated exhaust gasses.

Last edited by crsauls; 07-01-2008 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: typo