View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
Occasionally6
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't see how it could substantially increase reaction time unless the foot was actually resting on the pedal, in which case it is generating braking force.
A typical urban/suburban speed might be around 18m/s. Even a fraction of a second might be the difference between avoiding a crash and being halfway into the car in front (say).

It does take time to release the gas pedal and shift that foot across to the brake pedal.

Quote:
Isn't left foot braking how burnouts are done? I've never had a vehicle powerful enough to do one.
Yes .

The power of the car matters less than the technique used. It is easier to break traction with a manual trans. - simply side step the clutch - but not impossible to do so even in low powered auto. trans. cars, especially if they are FWD.

The trick is to apply the brakes only enough to stall the TC up, then come off the brake pedal as the throttle goes down. Once traction is broken you can hold the car using the brakes.

If you really wanted to do it and have no (rather than very little) mechanical sympathy and deep pockets, rev in Neutral and select 'D' to get the wheels spinning.

With FWD you can simply use the emergency brake. Unfortunately many FWD vehicles will just drag the locked rear wheels.

(Yes, I had a misspent youth.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I have little to add, but that not too long ago I was in a car and used my left foot to brake (always on a clutch, and I shift as fast as possible every time) and holy crap, I have never stopped a car so fast before lol

It hurt at the time (seat belt + aggressive jerk/immediate stop), but even then I was laughing out loud.
The only problem I had was when initially manually selecting gear in an auto. trans. after driving manual. That led to a simultaneous stab on the brake pedal.