View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
The power of the car matters less than the technique used. It is easier to break traction with a manual trans. - simply side step the clutch - but not impossible to do so even in low powered auto. trans. cars, especially if they are FWD.
I was only able to spin my front tires in a car with really bad grip. Really bad. In my FRs, it's always been holding brake, then hitting gas and the rear brakes let loose, and they just spin. Also, a lot of waste in my youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
...I'm glad I saw that when I was young; it saved my bacon on at least one occasion, when a horse and young rider (the horse was the one in control ) blasted up onto the road right in front of me in a VW Microbus. I was hard on the brakes AND swerved, somehow avoiding a collision and leaving lots of my nice expensive tires on the road. An observer to the whole thing said that was some mighty fine driving. I credit that Driver's Study with planting the seed in my head for always having a contingency plan.
Excellent point. Now is the most important time for that. Many people think the brakes when something happens ahead. Try it in the snow, or the slick, and one just slides forward. Turn, and one can easily avoid it if they are aware of their surroundings.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.