View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Saskwatchian
EcoModding Apprentice

Eric's Explorer - '01 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)

E's V - '07 Nissan Versa SL
90 day: 33.11 mpg (US)
New home on wheels

I am going to be in New Zealand for 6 months so one of my first orders of business was to buy a car/van to be my base of operations. I have done the living out of a small car thing and it can be done quite comfortably. I was considering going the car route again but I had a bigger unicycle with me this time and was planning on spending most if not all my time here living out of the vehicle. When I saw this Fargo for sale I knew that it was the right vehicle for me.

So far I only have maybe 400 km on it but things are looking good so far. The fuel gage doesn't work so I filled it up as soon as I got it then topped it off 207km later to see what the consumption and range would be like. 19.7 L in 207 km of moderately hilly driving so 9.5 L/100km or 25 US mpg, not bad for a big old van.

One of the best parts is it holds my alternate transportation quite neatly out of the way against the front cage.

Obviously I would like to improve the economy of the van but first I am going to focus on the interior. It is pretty good so far but I would like to add another cupboard to keep the dishes and utensils organized better, add some long under-bed drawers where the red and green bags are, re-do the curtains, replace the fake tile with real vinyl flooring etc.

For the ecomod stuff what do you suggest? skirts and air dam? Belly pan? The engine is under the floor and the radiator is actually mounted atop the IFS cross member so I don't want to restrict the air too much underneath.

I don't want to go too low either as it's not going to be a pavement princess and I still want to get to the interesting places.

I am also trying to think of a name for this thing, it might just come to me one day but for the moment I think I am just going to call it "My House"