View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
gk_ghig14
EcoModding Lurker

Eye catcher - '14 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 17.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Welcome to EM! When you get to 5 posts, post up some pics of your beautiful pony!

"Changing the nut behind the wheel" is the first thing people here always say. If the speed limit is 75 don't do 80, do 75 or better yet 70 (obviously in the slow lane, don't get yourself killed ). Time the lights, so you don't rush up to a red, lot's of other things. Check out the Hypermiling Tips:

Those mods you are considering are good. I would do a belly pan (least noticeable, which I would assume you want on your Mustang) with a rear diffuser on the back side (very race-ready). If you do a splitter, I would make sure the grill is blocked as best as possible, otherwise you're moving air for nothing. Depending on how "stock" you want it to look you could use fiberglass, but I would recommend cardboard and/or cloroplast at least for testing purposes. Check out this page as well:

I can see why you got no improvement in MPG for the higher octane fuel. Unless your engine requires it, nothing changes to the FE. Higher octane doesn't mean higher energy content.

Good luck and have fun!
Oh I'll definitely post pics. Especially to help visualize my ideas with stuff

As far as the speed thing, I posted that since I figured some people when they saw mustang would picture 90-100 going down the highway. Gotta cover my bases

I really wanna do the belly pan just gotta figure out how with the way the exhaust is(2 pipes all the way through). But I think with it being a mustang I can use some racing examples

The splitter I figured with help with downforce(yeah I'm a racer poser lol) but could also help with dropping the front end some, along with giving somewhere to mount an air dam more conspicuously. Would also allow me to mount something to even the front with the front tires(think that was one of the aero mods I read for mpg somewhere)

Which grille should I block? The bottom or the top, or both?

Ford says to run premium, as that's where their horsepower claims come from but regular is acceptable as long as the owner is fine with losing about 10-12 hp(which I'm perfectly fine with)