View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #137 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
The front is much like the car I designed for the Auto X-Prize competition. I am starting to work again on my car using a VW floorpan and front axle, starting first with plastic model kits. The body will start with a new Beetle, with the rear facing forward as it comes very close to the Template.
Have you posted anything about this? I'm curious why you would use a reversed New Beetle body. I don't believe you can use the rear glass and the cowl inner structure is missing. An older Beetle body would have less frontal area (but it wouldn't have the pop-out windshield). What scale are you working in. I'd love to have a floorpan and engine in 1/12th (dollhouse scale, 1"=1')

Quote:
There are aluminum axle tubes made for sand cars, which can save quite a lot of weight on a light car.
I mentioned the aluminum axle beams in Permalink #52 but it got lost in a discussion about anti-roll.
________

EDIT: I've been thinking about how the front wheelwell openings are pretty locked down, what with being part of the perimeter frame; and the articulated skirts.

The 2014 BMW X5 has what they call air curtains to control wheelwell turbulence. They use vents at the front and rear of the wheelwell.

The page won't load at this time in this location, but I think i was reading about it here:
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2010/12/13...detail/‎
So maybe it could be as simple as a convergent duct that necks down to 3/4" times the height of the wheelwell outside the frame in front, and a 3/4" radius in back to mimic the 1st gen Insight. And forget the skirt.

Last edited by freebeard; 11-21-2013 at 03:36 AM..