View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
minispeed
EcoModding Apprentice

minispeed-Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.15 mpg (US)

MDX - '01 Acura MDX Touring
90 day: 22.29 mpg (US)

the wife's car - '13 Toyota Prius Plus
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)

leaf-one - '15 Nissan Leaf SV
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
If they would be honest enought to label it a single-speed unit they would probably not be able to charge more for it as they do badging it as "e-CVT" or whatever else...
It's a single speed as far as the larger electric drive motor is concerned but what the device does with the ICE is what customers expect a transmission to do, it allows the ICE to work over a range of RPM and a range of road speed so that at low speed and high power request the ICE will rev high and at high speed and low power requests the ICE will rev low.

It's not misleading because it is a device that transmits energy, so calling it a transmission is correct. It's just a way simpler version since there are so few moving parts. My first intrepretion of what eCVT meant when I got my first prius was "electronicly controlled typical CVT". I now interpret the e-CVT to mean a device that Transmits energy over a Constantly Varriable range. Some of the energy is electrical that passes from the small Motor Generator (MG) to the larger MG that drives the wheels and some of the time it is mechanical that ends up directly driving the wheels through a single speed.

However to get back on track to the original post with the fit it will use Honda integrated motor assist (IMA) which is different, like the insights, civic hybrid, old accord hybrid. They use just one electic motor before a traditional transmission. The fit hybrid will use an updated version of IMA which is now being refered to as a mild hybrid. A term that GM once used for it's cars and has since even dropped for e-assist as that was even more mild than IMA. In that case you are right, the electrical energy will pass through a traditional transmission.

Last edited by minispeed; 11-21-2013 at 08:32 AM..