View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
Hi, thanks for the response!

My commute is only 64 miles total, so I'd only need 70 miles range. Hopefully that'd make the battery pack smaller and more affordable?
Yes, that will make the pack size you need about half, I would still go with lithium because needing over one ton of lead acid batteries is just insane! and lead acid batteries are not even half the cost of lithium batteries any more, so after 3-5 years when you have to replace your lead pack with another lead pack you will have spend more money on lead acid batteries, plus you'll have a poor performing EV because you were hauling around an extra ton of weight!

Sure, used lead acid batteries are an option... if you are going short distances, but if you go with used batteries figure you'll need twice as many for the same range... again that really adds up!

You asked about rear wheel drive and motor sizing, transmissions are nice because they give you a range of gear ratios to use, most people use 2nd gear only around town and 4th gear once they are up to highway speed, front wheel drive cars work great and they tend to be lighter weight cars then rear wheel drive.

As for selecting a motor, NetGain and some other motor companies tell you what size vehicle their different motors are ideal for, then compare the physical size of a motor you found used to see what it is close to and if it will work for you, I would look at motors that are 9" around or larger, 9" will be about as small as you'd want to go, using it for a long commute you are going to want to make sure you have a blower on it to keep it cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (11-21-2013)