View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
PAFirefighter11
Diesel FTW

Golf TDI - '03 Volskwagen Golf TDI GL
90 day: 44.63 mpg (US)
Thanks for all the aero info help guys! Need to get these flaps off ASAP. Trans is being swapped back to the OE one on Sunday morning, yay! Lower revving will be nice on the highway. I checked on the way in to work this morning and it's at 3200 at 65 MPH.

I may remove this front lip and design something that's better. This one goes upward towards the center. I want it flat/level for the full length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Any change in volume because of that?

On my '01 Civic, the muffler fell completely off due to rust. With no muffler at all, it is quieter than the ricer Civics with fart cans. I have to assume that the typical fart can actually amplifies the exhaust note.
There's definitely an increase in noise with the top removed. My theory is that the tip was preventing some of the sound getting to the cab. Now with the tip off it's able to travel a bit more freely towards the cab. This muffler definitely amplifies the sound and really makes me mad. But it's stainless so it should last. I need to look into getting a stock style replacement and selling this. I do worry that I'll need somewhat of an adapter due to the larger size. Downpipe area looks to be 2" or 2 1/4" max. The new stainless pipe goes all the way from the downpipe to the muffler and it's about 2 3/4" or 3" it seems. I'll cross that bridge when I get there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Doesn't look too ugly to me.

Remove the mudflaps.
Block the upper grill
Block most of the lower grill. Leave a hole on passenger side of the car (radiator should be only half wide on your car, the other half is the AC condenser). Black coroplast should be nearly invisible.

I haven't been able to notice an improvement when I lowered mine, but the temps have been plummeting since I did it, so it's hard to quantify.
Thanks! All on the list now. I just raised the back end up 1". It was riding on the bump stops prior to that so my back was killing me! I'm not sure what coroplast is but I'll be Googling it right now.

EDIT: Got it! That advertising sign material. Should be able to drag my fiance to Michaels or some craft store for that lol.

I assume it's better to put on the outside of the grille holes than on the inside? Inside might act as a minor parachute?
-'98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 5.7L (22 MPG)
-'01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 5.7L (22 MPG)