View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
I picked up a 50cc scooter in early June and with about 1/4 left on my first tank I'm at 65 miles driven (projected at 80-85 mpg). I purchased it mainly to commute to work (only a 4 mile one way drive) so the gas savings will take some time to offset the actual $1000 purchase cost of the scooter. Every time I drive it to work I save about $1.50 so it will take a few years to see any savings (of course, gas prices moving towards $5 and above will expedite the savings). At current gas prices I estimate a $200 savings every 1200 miles driven (remember...scooters require 90+ rated octane so you have to use the good stuff and my last fillup with super was at $4.27 where regular was at $4.02 at the time).

My other vehicle is a 2005 Toyota 4Runner and I generally have to fill it up twice a month at the current cost of $180-200 a month. After 1 month of riding the scooter to work 3-4 days a week my first months fuel total cost was $85 (one tank in the 4Runner and 1 tank on the scooter).

I can tell you there is a brief feeling of elation when filling up a 1 gallon scooter tank for a little over $4 and driving away from the gas station! And, with more time on the scooter I am getting better at planning local trips I do not need my 4Runner for.

The scooter is alot of fun to ride and for a 50cc you are only required to register the vehicle - no motorcycle license is required in Massachusetts. In MA, however, you cannot drive it on state rated highways so route selection is essential.

Last edited by Matt Herring; 07-01-2008 at 03:07 PM..