View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #34 (permalink)
bikenfool
EcoModding Lurker

subey - '99 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

rav4 - '07 Toyota Rav4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
If you go by throttle position then at a point in load the AT will downshift and you will suffer a dramatid loss in instant MPG. Without precision instrumentation the best technique is to avoid any downshifting in a auto transmission to the point where you are loosing to much speed (when climbing uphill). This is where you would wantt to consider allowing your speed to slowly drop in order to maintain top gear. The same also works with manuals. Avoid downshifting to minimize the loss in MPG climbing the hill, but not to the point where your speed drops below about 75-80% of your desired average or you take so much longer to get to the top of the hill at lower instant MPG.
regards
Mech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Best load is 75-80% with out full throttle enrichment. I will drive many tanks of fuel in my Fiesta and never see over 3500 RPM, becasue that is where it shifts out of first gear even when accelerating gradually. I find that when I am in heavy traffic it is actually best to accelerate at the average speed of the traffic and it also creates less issues with other drivers wanting to tailgate you if you accelerate at a slower pace.

regards
Mech
If your RPM's and load are in an efficient zone, why slow down at all on a hill with a manual? If you slow down you risk having to shift down.