View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
SVOboy
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
Check the other thread about this, its already under discussion. Careful what you say, though... just because cars didn't have power brakes 30 years ago does not mean that you are safe without it now. Master cylinders have reduced piston sizes that are designed for power assist now. Yes, you can get 3 good assisted presses of the brake pedal after you shut off your engine, but that's not the same as not needing it. Same goes for power steering... the systems are no longer designed to be manual (shorter ratios, smaller steering wheels).

This isn't an all-out attack against you. It is a warning that many uneducated drivers are hearing about the things that you do and replicating them unsafely. Buuut... If you advocate driving 4ft behind a truck, you shouldn't have a licence.
You've hit on the most important point, and I'm going to blame the media for this problem.

People like us, who are interested and knowledgeable know the issues with EOC and can handle them, but when the news have a 1:30 long bit on hypermiling and mention EOC, there are going to be hapless people who run out and try it.

I notice the same thing with biking. Gas is expensive now, so people bike more. However, most of them are people who know nothing about biking, so when I went to the store at 11pm last night I had to avoid three people on bikes with dark clothes, no lighting, and no helmets. *shrug*