View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
The most important things for me are clean looks, increased mpg loaded or empty, and increased stability in cross winds.

Whichever way I go with, a few key points need to be considered: The mods need to be effective while loaded with a travel trailer, or empty. (or in the case of the spoiler, removable/collapsible). I need easy (and frequent) access to the bed, for my tools and aux. fuel tank. Easy access to key components under the truck would be very nice, as I said, I run a lot of miles, and maintenance is a weekly adventure. And most importantly, it needs to be a clean, factory-looking install, so I don't draw attention from DOT.
Half you aerodynamic drag is in the underbody and wheelwells.

So... Full belly pan and wheels spats, at least 2 wheel skirts and attention paid to the inner aspect of the wheel wells. I suggest hangar door seal installed horizontally so it is brushed aside (down in front, up in back) when the wheels are turned.

For the rear difusser, I like this (more road clearance, obviously):

All the turbulent air in the rear wheelwell is pushed outward, where it is sheared off by the overall air flow. A full wheel spat [and skirt] would enclose the outer face, but I don't think it would add much and be in the way more.