View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
White Gnat exceeds 70 mpg in 2-way test

So it's been about 10,000 miles since I got the "new" engine, and in my mind, I "knew" 35 mph was my best MPG speed. However, after looking, it appears I never posted my test results on here. But yesterday, while cleaning up some of my mess, I came across the paper that had my mpg tests on it - and it was dated February 12,2013.

Well, that's been some time!! My mpg averages have gone up since then, I've changed to synthetic oil, had a wheel alignment, and installed my grille block since then -. Well, the ScanGauge seems to be behaving itself lately, so on the way back from Reno, I decided to run a few more tests to update things and/or see if there have been any changes.

I started at 35 mph, which I drive whenever I can because it's, after all, my "best mpg speed". Well, the 2-way test came out at 68.7 average. Now, I was pretty sure that's better than I remembered it. Anyway, I did another one at 40, then 45, then 50, but the mileage dropped significantly from 35 to 40, so just for fun, I thought I'd try it at 30. I never did it at 30 before - the engine would be lucky to be turning at 1000 rpm in 5th gear at that speed. But, I did it today, and the mpg was 70.2! Return trip, 70.2 again!! Since I had to go back the other way to get home, I went ahead and did a third run, same direction as the first, and hit 70.4!!!

So it's official - according to the ScanGauge, at least, I finally hit 70 mpg!!!! By comparison, many years ago when I bought my Honda Nighthawk 450 motorcycle, I was hoping to hit 60 mpg, and ecstatic when it ended up getting 70. Now my CAR has hit 70 - what's the next level beyond ecstatic?

Last edited by wmjinman; 11-29-2013 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: corrections