View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys_1k View Post
More pump pressure = more pump input torque = higher engine load = less FE.
therefore, less pump pressure equal better FE? LOL I'm just having some fun at my own expense.

But seriously, I love the modification, I'm just trying to figure out how to fix a secondary problem (that probably doesn't even exist, but someone above mentioned it).

I am sure there is a happy medium between higher parasitic loses from the front pump and better efficiency through more crisp shifts and less slip. Too harsh a shift and the transmission would undoubtably eat itself up in commute traffic, not to mention spill your coffee. A smooth shifting transmission or a real tall geared one has a lot of slip and therefore must generate heat. Heat is a result of friction, so the coolest running transmission will likely be the most efficient one. A gage might tell the tail, unless the trans cooler is already an over-acheiver. One thing is for certain, the guys who sell new cars want the buyer to experience a good 'feeling' transmission, and low warrenty repairs numbers.

I'm not saying slippage is a problem, but if it were...

On that same note, my '95 Toyota Celica's slushbox was leaking and slipping a little, so I bought this stuff that claims to remedy those ills. I put some between my fingers before feeding it to my Celica, and it was kind of sticky, like oily honey. The claim was "reduces leaks, reduces clutch plate slipage while retaining lubrication and cooling properties of your trans fluid" I don't belive in miracle additives, but it was already leaking and slipping, nothing to loose so I dumped the stuff in. Shifts definately became stiffer (but not harsh), and I noticed FE got a little better, maybe 2mpg. it slowed the leak down. 30k miles later the leak is bigger than ever...