View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My 1971 CB 350 sat from 1983 until 2011 (28 years). I pulled the plugs and shot some WD40 into the cylinders and let it sit for a week. The oil had been changed 1 mile before it was put away. When I got it running I rode that bike 100 miles on that same oil and 200 miles on the 40 year old original tires. It took around 40 miles for the flat spots to smooth out and I was very very careful, not exceeding 40 MPH and waiting for any vibration after the flat spots smoothed out.
Spotlessly clean inside that motor and never used a drop of oil. Rode it from 4718 miles to 6245 miles before I sold it for $2500. Paid $250 for the bike and had about $1300 in it when I sold it not including my labor.
If you don't know the inside of the fuel tank is clean and you add E10 to that car, anything in the tank will come loose and rapidly plug the fuel filters. The alcohol does that. You could install and inline filter in a location where you could remove it after a visual inspection showed contamination. Maybe carry a spare filter if you decide to not drop the tank. You'll probably be lucky if it gets 6 MPG on that short commute. Probably best to put the filter BEFORE the fuel pump.
You will probably have fuel system problems from the alcohol, but it may just be hoses and a possible fuel pump diaphragm.

regards
Mech