Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
TruckFan
EcoModding Lurker

Beast - '88 Ford F-350 XLT Lariat
90 day: 9.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Lots of crossover here between "traditional" gearheads and people interested in tinkering to improve efficiency.
Yep, kind of interesting. I've already started to notice a bit of it reading around the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I wonder, though... if you're keeping your big truck in reserve for work duty, why not go for a project platform that has a lot more potential than an additional truck? I'm sure you've seen guys around here who are getting fantastic results from their Rangers -- far above average, for a truck, that is. But you could eclipse a Ranger's numbers (for a lot less effort/resources) with a car-based platform.
I definitely think you're right. A car platform has a lot more potential as far as fuel mileage. The issue is that I need carrying capacity several days a week, and a Ranger fits that need. I don't necessarily need a big weight capacity, but the cargo room is crucial. That's why an I4 Ranger would be okay even though the V6 ones (3.0 and 4.0) have more power. I need to be able to tow about 1300 lbs max and carry up to about 600 lbs in the bed. I've heard of a lot of reports of 30+ mpg empty on the highway with stock I4 rangers, and I think I could mod it to squeeze a few more MPG out. Maybe even swap in a small diesel and break into the 40-50+ MPG range on the highway.

I appreciate the reply.
- Collin