Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
TruckFan
EcoModding Lurker

Beast - '88 Ford F-350 XLT Lariat
90 day: 9.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Even the F350 can already provide a decent platform for ecomodding, altough a 3-speed transmission and a big-block may not be the most effective ways to deal with that challenge.

Anyway, the first thing anyone could consider while attempting to hypermile with an old-school V8 might be trying to make it operate on the Miller-cycle, which might be not so difficult to attempt with lots of options for aftermarket superchargers and cams...
I've pretty much already built it like I want it. There's not tons of MPG potential for it without a lot of $$$ which would negate itself. She puts down a ton of power, and is the most powerful thing I've driven. Probably the fastest accelerating too, when I had 33" tires on it earlier this year I could do 30 MPG rolling burnouts, haha. Puts down a lot of torque.

Your right, the 3 speed auto puts a hurting on mileage. Pretty much effects 55+ MPH highway MPGs since it doesn't have overdrive. I'd like to have a 5 speed in it for fun and for overdrive, but they were kind of rare for 460s and are hard to find in any kind of shape.