Thread: Kamm-rack
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Kamm-rack

A while ago I tried out some ideas that had been discussed on here regarding marine wrap and if it can be used, it would require someone smarter and more skilled than I.

I plan on trying something else that has been discussed, but not done:

My new bike rack, $8 less with Amazon's Lightning Deal:

I wish that I had a good side view to properly do the template.
California98Civic's plan view, with the 3.9-something whatsit:

[that took me way too long to do!]
Thanks to California98Civic:

So, I figure that I will need to use pipe cutters to trim the arms, perhaps for the verticals, too. I figure that I will use the strongest construction material in the known world, PVC pipe. I figure that I will make a Kamm-back as far back as I can without obstructing the trunk and attach it with automotive tape. I tried looking into it, so I will wait until I actually see the regulation, but I plan on extending four feet past the bumper.

I had planned on building the Kamm-back and surface of the boat-tail out of 1/4-in x 50-ft x 4-ft Extruded Polystyrene Insulated Sheet with fiberglass and kittens. Oh wait, you don't use kittens, do you?

I am now thinking that I will need to build an access door. Since I figure that the Kamm-back and the boat-tail will flex, they will not touch, but I will put insulation foam between them.

I had only planned on making the top of a boat-tail, more of an overgrown Kamm-back, as a proof-of-concept, but I guess that with the access panel, I could do the sides, too.

Well, I just spent hours making pretty pictures and stuff, it took me a while just to figure out the 3.9-something. I need to get back to trying to put together materials for my four consecutive finals immediately following drill.

I planned on looking up fiberglass materials, but yeah, I need to go...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic template plan view.png
Views:	541
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	14179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike rack small.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	14180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fanfold.jpg
Views:	413