View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #24 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
If you build your house on the typhoon railroad, how is that anyone elses problem, and why does fake celebrity get to tell us it is our problem?!?
1. We've had that same argument locally... and the government is hot to remove people from danger zones. It's illegal to live in certain areas, for example... but this was a disaster on par with the Fukushima tsunami. Completely unprecedented.

2. Our entire country is on the typhoon railroad, there's really no place else to go. And given how chaotic the climate has been in recent years, what was safe ground in decades past is no longer so. My place used to get one or two feet of flood water every several years, no matter how bad the weather. In the past three years, we've had three floods over five feet (at my place) and a dozen feet at townships lower down than mine. Selling and moving are not an option because nobody is stupid enough to buy that land from the people who live there, and the economy isn't such that people who live in danger zones can afford to simply up and move.

3. I suppose the solution would be to leave the country. Millions have. But the immigration pipeline is very small and the cost is very high in a country whose minimum wage is around $200 a month.

4. Hundreds, if not thousands of the dead, died in evacuation centers. Hundreds of children died in one when an unprecedented storm surge flooded into the only secure building in the area and left them floundering in ten feet of fast flowing, cold water.

5. A "celebrity" is only a "celebrity" if people recognize them as such. He was recognized as such, and is known as a truly humble and down-to-earth guy... whether or not this was a front to absolutely everyone who knew him, including his friends, at least he was doing something for someone else.

6. It's not your problem, obviously. If you don't care, you don't have to donate, and no, Paul Walker wasn't forcing you to, so I don't see what your problem with the whole thing is.

Last edited by niky; 12-04-2013 at 08:54 AM..