View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
planform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Does the latest Hucho book have any updated or better information on optimum car nose shapes? Tail shapes?

For example, his Fourth Edition, page 158, has drawings and graphs on optimized nose shapes, relative height of stagnation point, etc.

I'm curious if the newer edition addresses that, and especially if the planform (as seen from above) shape is considered. Round, elliptical, etc. shape is optimum?

The latest Porsche cars such as Carrera GT have elliptical planform, and I wonder if Hucho or any other good source adresses this.

Thoughts, cites, and especially pictures or exhibits posted here from such sources would be much appreciated!
I spent some time in my rat's nest looking at the plan views of low drag vehicles.
It looks like the tail section of the 3.92:1,(25.5% thickness) symmetrical wing section has demonstrated the lowest drag over the decades.
As measured from the widest part of the vehicle,it would extend back 2.39X times body width.
I believe it's posted at the Aerodynamic Streamlining Template thread as "Drag per unit length vs thickness chord ratio,2-D flow,wing/strut sections."
It's the middle section of the three in the table.