View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
Which recession is that?? I haven't seen fuel prices in my area below $2/gallon since 2008! I don't think it's the recession that is the cause of our gas prices.

And yeah, you'd have a heart attack if you saw gasoline prices in Europe.

-soD
I was buying e85 for $0.85 a gallon in 2006, we had stations here and there around a buck a gallon in 05 for ethanol free when the great climb started. Back then $1.50 was intolerable. Still is but nothing you can do about it. (save an ev)

From as far as I can tell the recession started late 2001 and seems to have continued to this day, just because stocks have gone up does not mean that the mode income of people has gone back to anywhere near what it was in the mid to late 90s, at least in this state.

just because there are a handfull of successes the failure rates in this state have more or less increased and the number of full time, moderate paying jobs has continued to slide or stagnate. The overall number of small brick and mortar has died, downtowns are vacant, as are the malls and even the strip malls.

i ran a small family business for many years and for me and everyone I know the party stopped in 2001, we had a few up years after but times where better the further you go back and it wasn't just me, a lot of folks retired because they thought the 90's had too poor of sales, sheesh, good thing i now "work" for somebody else for a living and don't try to make for a living anymore. I occasionally will go out once or twice a year as a hobby but people around here don't have disposable income, they will buy frivolous food purchases but are on the thrift store mode for anything else. you would be amazed by the skyrocketing number of long term unemployed and the number of homeless is on the rise.

Cheers
Ryan