Thread: Jeep intro
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
DoctorP82
EcoModding Lurker

Boy Blue - '93 Jeep Cherokee Country
90 day: 18.55 mpg (US)
Jeep intro

Hey all, a 1993 Cherokee owner here to introduce myself. Just recently found these forums and started reading up, and want to try to meet a fuel efficiency goal. Current EPA combined efficiency (from Fuel Economy) is 15 mpg for my auto 4.0L 6 cyl. I know that I can pull 16 - 18 mpg already just having been doing less aggressive driving already for some time. I'm hoping that with some more work I can try to push to 25 mpg combined or more!

Some things to do:
- Checked tire pressures, average around is about 33 psi (tire rated to 44 psi). Will inflate these to 40
- Removed window guards, those things that let you crack the window and not get rain in (caused lots of wind noise I realized, and probably decreased aerodynamics)
- Will remove roof rack
- Will block part of grill, and some areas around front
- Rear wheel skirts(?)
- Repair bumper: I have a big dent in it from a small bumper buster, probably the biggest killer currently

Some things I know I am curious about
- using 5W-30 instead of 10w-30, or even a thinner synthetic brand
- Acetone?
- I had the crazy idea for building a switch-deployable boattail, as well as a possible front mod to improve the curve over the hood out of clear plexi or lexan (would require some work definitely)