View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Yeah, cars "blowing up" in a crash are extremely rare. In the movies, it happens almost every time there's a high speed wreck, but in real life, I've never even seen it once - and I spent a 27 year carreer working on the highway. I've seen cars BURN after a wreck a couple of times (had one happen to me once without even having a wreck), but not explode.

Of all the ways you can get hurt or killed in a car mishap, I'd say having the car EXPLODE in a wreck lists right alonside getting zapped in a lightning strike or having a plane crash on you! Even in the so-called "investigative shows" where they're trying to say certain cars are too dangerous in crashes (like pickups with tanks OUTSIDE the frame rails) - I heard that in order to get "footage" of them blowing up in a crash for the show, they had to actually "Rig" them with igniters so it would happen. .... without doing that, they were wrecking truck after truck and not getting the explosion they were wanting to "warn" us about...

(I've got no references or numbers to back that up, but it's what I've experienced/heard...)