View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
eggroller
EcoModding Lurker

94_MR2_NA - '94 Toyota MR2 non-turbo
90 day: 19.71 mpg (US)

00 Outback Wagon Ltd (AT) - '00 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 22.69 mpg (US)

Cruze LT - Rental - '11 Chevrolet Cruze LT
90 day: 33.4 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Do you have Costco down there?

A few months back they had a big discount on 3 packs of LED bulbs. Our local electric company also provides subsidies for consumer purchased, high efficiency light bulbs. Combine the two and I picked up two 3-packs for about $20 IIRC.
Another Costco shopper. Different locations have different selections of bulbs. I recently bought a new house and nothing but incandescent bulbs everywhere! I have purchased the limit each time for the bulbs I needed (for the local electric company instant rebate). Note, you can buy. Drop off purchases in the car. Go back in and purchase the limit again.

They have the Feit brand LEDs:
* 3 pack of A19 bulb replacements (standard 60w equivalent)
* R20 size reflector bulbs (45w equivalent)
* BR30 size reflector bulbs (60w-65w equivalent in flood and PAR30 spot)
* complete can light replacements
* and more that I can't remember.

The incandescent light bulbs maybe rated for a certain output but don't always deliver the same amount, color temperature or intensity at all points (hotspots). It maybe due to age or quality. Switching them to LED I get much more light all at the same color temperature and even distribution.

My experience with CFLs is really bad. They burned out all of the time and the slow start up was really annoying. CFLs were quite good for areas where the light was on for long durations, when they worked.

Last edited by eggroller; 12-10-2013 at 04:56 PM..